Admission to UConn is academically competitive. To be considered for admission, you must meet the following criteria:
- An associate's degree or at least 60 college credits from a degree granting regionally accredited college or university
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Students who do not have a 2.7 GPA are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor. Students may be eligible for admission if they earn an additional 12 credits with a 3.0 GPA
To apply, please contact the BGS advisor of your campus choice. Meet the BGS advisors here.
Special Information for International Students
As an international student, you should complete the International Student Application Packet, and then make an appointment with an Academic Advisor to review the application materials prior to submission.
All international applicants must provide evidence of their proficiency in English in order to be admitted to the Bachelor of General Studies program. English language fluency can be established in any one of the following ways:
- If your native language is English.
- If you have received and provide the BGS office with a UCAELI English proficiency certificate.
- If you have received a degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university, and send to the BGS office an official transcript from the aforementioned institution.
- If you have passed a credit bearing college English writing course from a US regionally accredited college or university, and have submitted an official college transcript.
- If you have successfully passed either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). For students whose primary language is not English, the TOEFL or IELTS can be a valuable supplement to the application. The minimum score for the TOEFL is 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (Internet-based) or a minimum score of 6.5 for IELTS. All academic credentials not written in English must be accompanied by official, certified English translations.