Financing Your Education

If you are in need of financial assistance to help you defray the cost of your education, there may be several options available to you. Depending on your circumstances, you may benefit from one or more of the following opportunities:


Federal Financial Aid

The type of federal financial aid available, and your eligibility for financial aid depend on your particular circumstances. The following is an overview of federal financial aid available. For complete information, contact UConn’s Financial Aid Services Office at 860-486-2819.

To apply for federal financial aid, you must complete and file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To help you plan, consult the financial aid application timeline. Complete information on FAFSA is available, including the application process. You can complete and submit the FAFSA application online. Use 001417 for the University of Connecticut Federal School code when prompted on the form.

  • Less than Part-Time Students (registered for 3-5 credits) may be eligible for Federal Pell Grants
  • Part-Time Students (registered for 6-11 credits) may be eligible for Federal Pell Grants and Federal Stafford Loans
  • Full-Time Students (registered for 12+ credits) may be eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Such students should contact UConn’s Financial Aid Services Office.


Fee Waivers

In the BGS Degree Program you will pay course fees. These course fees are a combination of University tuition and other University fees. Only the tuition portion of course fees can be waived. Please note that you may use waivers for classes you take during the fall and spring semesters only.  You may not use waivers for classes offered during the summer or winter intersession.  There are a number of waivers possible:

  • CT Army or Air National Guard Members: To qualify, you must have a "Certificate of Eligibility" approved and sealed by the Education Office and the Adjutant Generals Office. Please fax the approved form to the Center for Continuing Studies Student and Financial Services Office at 860-486-3845 for processing.
  • Senior Citizens: If you are 62 years of age or older and a resident of Connecticut with proof of age and residency (i.e. CT Drivers License) you can qualify for a senior citizen waiver. Please fax your eligibility documentation to the Center for Continuing Studies Student and Financial Services Office at 860-486-3845 for processing.
  • AAUP/Managerial/Exempt Employee Spouses: Each semester you may register for classes on the first day of class or later. You can use your waiver for non-laboratory courses only, on a space available basis, with the consent of the instructor. Prior to the start of the semester, you must submit the necessary form to the Human Resources Department.Your waiver request must be approved by Human Resources before you may register in your courses.
  • UCPEA and AAUP/Managerial/Exempt Employees:
    The approved form is to be faxed to the Center for Continuing Studies Student and Financial Services Office at 860-486-3845 for processing.
  • AFSCME Employees (employed at least 50%): Pre-registration is not possible, must register on the second day of class or later. The waiver can be used for non-laboratory undergraduate courses only, on a space available basis. Must have form from Human Resources.The approved form is to be faxed to the Center for Continuing Studies Student and Financial Services Office at 860-486-3845 for processing.


Continuing Education Loans

If you have exhausted all federal loan eligibility or if you are not eligible for federal aid, you may want to pursue an alternative (private) loan. Students may qualify for better loan terms using traditional alternative loans. Some alternative loans can be used even if you are enrolled less than half-time. Be sure to compare interest rates and fees before applying for any alternative loan. Examples of these loans can be found at the Alternative Loan Page on the UConn Financial Aid website.

Veterans Benefits

If you are a Veterans or a dependent of a Veteran and you are enrolled in the BGS Program, you may be eligible to receive financial support through the Veterans Administration. The exact type and amount of Veterans assistance varies depending upon your individual situation and your course load each semester or session.

You can get more detailed information on Veterans benefits as well as the appropriate forms from the Veterans Affairs Office at Storrs or from the Veterans Coordinator at your local campus.

Employer Tuition Reimbursement Programs

Many employers offer tuition and fee reimbursement programs which may pay all or a portion of your course fees. Some employers pay their employee’s course fees directly to UConn, while others reimburse the student directly upon completion of a class. If you are an employed BGS student, be sure to check with your employer for detailed information about the employee educational benefits available through your workplace.

Internal Revenue Service Tax Deductions and Credits

In certain cases, the Internal Revenue Service allows deductions and/or credits for particular educational expenses. You should consult IRS publications and/or an accountant for specific information on the types of educational expenses that might be deductible.

University Payment Plan

The University of Connecticut offers an optional payment plan that lets you spread each semester’s charges into four monthly payments.  Please review the University Payment Plan for more specific information.

Credit Card Payment

Although the university does not have the capacity to defer BGS fees, you may pay BGS fees with MasterCard or Discover. This allows you the flexibility to pay the credit card company gradually over a period of time.

Student Labor

The University of Connecticut may hire enrolled students to work at the University as student laborers. Criteria for such employment are enrollment at the University of Connecticut, a willingness to work, and the availability of a job which you can fill. Consult the Student Employment Program for more information on student labor opportunities, email, or call 860-486-3474.